Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Walk in the Woods

Elisabeth, Kate and I drove to the Brussels airport this morning to pick up Rich. He returned to Brussels after two weeks working in the DC office. After a quiet morning of ZINGO! and the Dora Matching Game, Rich, Elisabeth & Kate set off for a bike ride to a playground in Parc de Woluwe. It is a beautiful summer day in Brussels with blue skies (let's hope a cold front doesn't blow in!). I am looking forward to a nice quiet walk in the Parc Woluwe woods and meeting up at 12:15pm for a picnic lunch.

So much of the Parc de Woluwe woods reminds me of Hills & Dales park in Dayton, Ohio where I grew up. Hills & Dales Park was originally designed between 1906 and 1918 by the famous Olmsted Brothers landscape architecture firm, renowned for their work on Central Park in New York City. It is situated at the border of Oakwood, Dayton and Kettering, Ohio. With its lush rolling hills, majestic trees, quiet streams and ponds, Hills & Dales holds a special place in my heart. Some of my favorite memories are of Hills & Dales Park whether riding my bike through the woods with my brothers and sisters to swim practice at Dayton Country Club, attending Keyes family reunions at the picnic shelters, collecting clay from the streams or running with my Dad.

http://www.metroparks.org/getoutside/rebirthHillsDalesPark.aspx